At 9:21 AM 1/22/95, Michael Perelman wrote:
>the 1980s, Doug shocked me by suggesting the conventional growing government
>debt explanation.  I suspect that rising business debt provides a better
>explanation.  So I repeat a variant of my original question: did falling
>profits encourage business to take on more debt to create alternative profit
>rates?  Normally, we are led to expect that profit rates and interest rates
>move together.
>
>My shock from Doug's response reflected my expectation of an unconventional
>answer from him.

Ha, caught being conventional. How embarrassing.

All other things being equal, why shouldn't a rise in gov't credit demand
push up interest rates? Loan demand is loan demand. How should it be any
different from business credit demand? Both government and business (&
households too) spend the money they borrow, which should goose demand and
make the debt at least partly self-financing in the macro sense, but
individual units are still left with debts to service. As the ratio of
interest paid to income rose for all three sectors (hh gov biz), much of
the new indebteness was the rolling over of interest. Unless the central
bank is run by La Cicciolina, don't rising rates seem inevitable?

The question is why everyone went so deeply into debt (and why the
household sector at least is doing it again)? Gov't - fiscal crisis of the
state plus an idiotic fiscal policy. (Interest began eating up most of the
deficit stimulus by the late 1980s). Households - as Bob Pollin has
demonstrated, households at the low end and the middle borrowed to maintain
living standards; those at the high end borrowed to speculate and
accumulate toys. And biz - business borrowed mainly to do M&A and defensive
restructurings. Real productive investment continued to be financed
overwhelmingly by retained earnings. You could certainly argue that the
M&A/restructuring thing was driven by low profitability; the point of
everything was to boost returns to stockholders. Research in The Deal
Decade (ed. Margaret Blair; Brookings 1994) shows that there was something
to Jensen's free cash flow argument: firms in mature industries had ample
cash flow but few profitable investment outlets; the point of the financial
maneuvering was to grab the free cash by loading up firms with debt and
shipping big interest checks to Wall Street. Debt was supposed to be a
discipline on management, but it was also supposed to be a way to redeploy
capital. Wall Street, being the wise, disinterested, and frictionless
arbiter of capital allocation decisions for all society, would assure that
these funds would be profitably redeployed. Instead, they were used to
finance more restructurings.

Doug Henwood
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Left Business Observer