Judging by the tone of recent postings here and comments made to
me at the ASSA meetings in Washington, one thing that economists
of the right and left share is a hatred of insitutional religion
(I exclude the prophetic voice, as was indicated in another
posting).  For mainstream economists, religion is an irrational
institution that will die away as rationality comes to rule; for
radical economists, religion is an instrument of oppression
wielded by the powerful.

For mainstream economists, I pose the following question: how to
explain the ongoing vitality of religion after 300 years of
modernity?

For radicals, the question is: how do you explain the fact that
many grassroot organizations working for change around the
world are based in religious communities?  Far from being an
opiate, religion is often the catalyst of change.

Ross

Ross B. Emmett, Augustana Univesity College, Camrose, Alberta
CANADA   T4V 2R3   voice: (403) 679-1517   fax: (403) 679-1129
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]