It is silly to compare the investment an idividual with a finite life
makes to the investment an economy with an infinite life makes. Assuming
that debt goes to investments which yield a positive rate of return, a
growing economy can and should carry a larger and larger debt burden. The
problem arises when this debt is not taken out for investments which
yield positive rates of return in which case we must be concerned about a
growing debt burden. However, debt is not inherently evil just as taking
out student loans is not inherently stupid. A balanced budget ammendment
IS stupid AND impossible as the federal government needs the flexibility.
The first recession will send the economy reeling.

J. Coronado