I guess I should say a word about my motives in reposting the telephone study.
 I did *not* intend to endorse everything it said.  I simply felt that the
topic is important, and that the evidence is interesting.  As for the specific
question of basic service versus long distance, there are different ways to
interpret the study's findings.  My policy conclusion would be that some
mechanism be sought to permit people who fail to pay for their long distance
calls to continue to receive basic service.  But I must admit I don't know
very much about these issues...

Peter Dorman