>Regarding Carl Dassbach's definition:
>     What is a telecommunications operator in a big room filled
>with dividers and other telecommunications operators working the
>night shift for a big catalog company?
>     A physical product was part of the definition.  What is the
>physical product?
>     -- Mary Schweitzer

Answer - a worker.  I never said anything about a physical product which, in
my mind,  suggests a distinction between productive and non-productive
labor.  All labor is productive (for owners) insofar as it generates more
value then is returned to the laborer, i.e. needed to reproduce that labor
power.  It is immaterial what form this labor takes - e.g. assembly line
work or service labor.  The problem is that most labor processes today are
socialized - as a result, surplus value is really the global outcome of the
collective and socialized labor process and the contribution of individual
workers can not be preciserly specified.  So-called unproductive
activtities, sales, supervision are in fact integral to the process of
producing surplus value as a collective socialized activity.  Let's not
reproduce Senior "Last Hour."
Carl H.A. Dassbach                                   E-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Social Sciences                            Phone:   (906)487-2115
Michigan Technological University              Fax:       (906)487-2468
Houghton,  MI   49931    USA