Consider this proposal from Pen-l alum Dean Baker:

How about trying to get a shareholder proposal within
TIAA/CREF, which would mandate that the pension fund
would not invest in any company whose compensation
for any single executive exceeded a certain amount,
say, $3,000,000?  We have a lot of TIAA/CREF members
on pen-l and could easily use the internet to
scare up lots more.  Anyway I don't know the exact
procedure for getting these things to a vote, but if
we even succeeded in doing that, win or lose it would
have to have scare the hell out of a lot
of important people. (Some of you may have seen
the recent NYT article on TIAA/CFRE using its muscle
on W.R. Grace).

What say, any takers?

Mark Weisbrot