Mike Meeropol wrote

> Has the Sam Bowles/Julie Schor time series of the "cost of losing
>your job" been updated through the present.  That's a useful index,
>IMHO, for what Jim seems to be concluding...

I am currently generating a new (hopefully improved) series for the
cost of job loss for the average worker in the US economy for
1948-1992. There are a number of questionable assumptions made
by Schor, Bowles, and Gordon in generating their CJL series that
play a large part in giving their series the pattern that it has. I
am correcting for these questionable assumptions.

I should have the new CJL series generated in a few weeks
(calculating the CJL is quite a major project it turns out.) I might
post these new numbers and the comparison Schor, Bowles,
Gordon numbers on this list if people are interested. I also will
soon have a paper written that explains my new CJL series
and how it differs from the Schor, Bowles, and Gordon series.

And, RE the apparent improvement of the unemployment situation
in the US in recent years. My estimates (based on BLS data) of
the average completed spell of time a newly fired JOB LOSER
searches for a job (and either finds one or quits searching)
by decade are:
                          1950s   =  13.0 weeks
                          1960s  =   13.3
                          1970s  =   14.0
                          1980s  =   15.4
                          1990s  =   16.7

It appears that although the unemployment rate might have improved
kind-of-sort-of in recent years, the situation for JOB LOSERS
(relevant to the cost of job loss) has continued to worsen in recent
years.

Eric Nilsson

Eric Nilsson
Department of Economics