Paul:
-----
 Marx's main clause is 'differences in the average rate of profit
in various branches of industry do not exist in reality'.
Well this just is not true. Empirically there are very substantial
differences in profit rates between industries. One can only make
it true by abstracting from these real differences on the grounds
that they are mutually compensating. But any deviations from a mean
are mutually compensating, so one could make the same observation
about any economic statistic.

One could by the same logic assert
that everyone in the US recieves the same average income, since
differences in income are only incidental and are anyway mutually
compensating.

If the statement that differences in average rate
of profit do not exist *in reality* is to have any scientific content
there must be some set of data which could be used to check on
its validity. If one is able to disregard all contrary evidence
as merely accidental, then the assertion  that an equal average
rate of profit really exists is content free.
____________________

May be there is a serious problem of communication here. As far as I know, you
have been posturing to be the defender of Marx's theory of value against
all those "neo-Ricardians" and others. When you are asked to come up with some
references you say Marx was wrong and his theoretical set-up is vacuous. My
concern is not about what "real prices" happen to be--rather what is Marx's
theoretical argument. As a matter of fact, for what I have seen on pen-l, I
will not bet my money on your all that bold emperical claims. Converting all
the price data to labor values would be an exceedingly difficult job and its
results would probably have high degree of unreliability. But in anycase, what
your real data says is not an issue here. The basic thing Marx is saying is
that up till then, i.e. chapter 8, vol.3 of *Capital*, he has been assuming
that commodities exchange in proportion to their labour-values, which gives
rise to different rates of profit in different sectors if their organic
compositions happen to be different. This for him is not an acceptable solution
because,*according to his notion of capitalist competition*, when technical
change and other "inessential" factors are abstracted from, the relative prices
must insure an equal rate of profit across sectors--thus the transformation
problem. So I think you are going of your own tangent unnecessarily.

Cheers, ajit sinha