Jim Devine wrote:

Hi, Ajit! I hope every thing's going well in OZ.
___________________

Things are great in OZ, and we hope to see you here soon.
____________________
1. Ajit tears my missive apart, because I spend a lot of time
talking about what (I think) Marx's Law of Value (LoV) is NOT rather
than what it was.

But I did say what (I thought) it was: if anything, it's a metatheory.
____________________
So what is a metatheory?
____________________
Further, there was (unstated) method to my madness. The reason why I
accentuated the negative was that I want to push people to
re-examine their preconceptions. It seems to me that the whole
so-called "transformation problem" debate is sterile and excessively
academic (not to mention scholastic) because hardly anyone ever
examines what the purposes of Marx's use of value are. The neo-Ricardians
(e.g., Howard & King), Morishima, and "Analytical Marxists," following
the long traditin of Bohm-Bawerk and Bortkewitz, assert or assume that the
purpose of value is to develop a price theory. They dismiss references
(such as John Ernst's) to Marx's own assertion that the purpose of his book
is to figure out the laws of motion of the system. Many of Marx's
defenders (a group that overlaps with the neo-Ricardians) take up
the same perspective. We all know that economists have to be
concerned with price theory, so Marx must have been also, right? But
did Marx ever say that his aim in using values was to calculate
prices?
____________________________
Since you are not going to tell me what is the nature of the 'transformation
problem', I will venture out to suggest a few points. What Marx is attempting
to prove by transforming values to prices of production is that his basic
theoretical categories given by constant capital (c), variable capital (v), and
surplus value (s) are determined from outside the market forces. All the
three variables are defined and measured in *embodied labour* units. C is given
by the current technology, V is determined by the social and historical forces,
and S is determined by the class struggle. Market forces only determine prices
or "prices of production" by reallocating the total surplus among the
exploiting classes so that the condition for reproduction is established in the
bourgeois accounting: "The various different capitals here are in the position
of shareholders in a joint stock company, in which the dividends are evenly
distributed for each 100 units." (K III, 258) (Now who says prices of
production has nothing to do with equal rate of profit?).

Though Ricardo's problem of the "invariable measure of value" is not identical
to Marx's 'transformation problem' (in a paper which is sitting with a journal
for many months now, I have argued that Sraffa's standard commodity is *not* a
solution to Marx's 'trnasformation problem'), it is closely related to it--as
was quite clear to Marx (cf. TSV II). In the 'Preface' to the *Principles*
Ricardo says: To determine the laws which regulate this distribution [rent,
profit, and wages], is the principal problem in Political Economy: ..." And in
a letter to McCullouch dated November 16, 1820, Ricardo wrote: "After all, the
great questions of Rent, Wages and Profits must be explained by the proportions
in which the whole produce is divided between landlords, capitalists, and
labourers, and *which are not essentially connected with the doctrine of
value*". That is the law of distribution is determined from outside the market
forces, which basically determines value/prices. Those "Marxists" who criticise
Ricardo's theory for being concerned only with prices are standing on their
head.

And to club Bohm-Bawerk and Bortkiewicz is simply wrong. Bohm-Bawerk's critique
is that Marx arrived at his labour values on the basis of his postulation that
they were the equilibrium market prices, and so to arrive at the conclusion
that equilibrium market prices diverge from labour values would amount to
theoretical contradiction. Bohm-Bawerk could not figure out that there was an
inconsistency in the mathematical formulation of the 'transformation'
procedure. Bortkiewicz's contribution as a matter of fact is a critique of
Bohm-Bawerk and a defense of Marx. Similarly, in the earlier post you had
suggested that "embodied labour" and "dated labour" were identical concepts.
Another simple mistake. "embodied labour" and "dated labour" are quite
distinct. Dated labour have multipule (1+r)^n, where n refers to the date, but
embodied labour are completely independent of the rate of profit. Moreover, you
had suggested that "dated labour" means earlier technologies or the
technologies with which the means of production were produced. Another simple
mistake. Dated labour is just another procedure to arrive at the same result as
the simultaneous equation method. All the labour units are measured by the
contemporary technology. I'm pointing these things out to make simply one
point. Don't get shallow when criticising others in the name of Marx. It does
not do any good to Marx or Marxism.
________________________

No I don't call what I said a "theoretical discourse": rather, I was
trying (probably in vain) to push people to consider alternatives. I
was _referring_ (without citation, I admit) to a long-time
alternative to the "Marx was a price theorist" tradition which goes
back to I.I. Rubin, among others. That tradition (ignored almost
entirely by the neo-Ricardians, Morishima, and "Analytical
Marxists") emphasizes the notion of commodity fetishism. Again, I
think that theory is a constant theme in CAPITAL.
Jim, Please read Rubin's ch. 8 ( I hope my memory is correct, it could be 9.
But in anycase, where he develops his demand and supply graphs) and tell me if
you still think that his tradition is what you should uphold. Rubin is quite
neo-classical in my opinion.

Cheers, ajit sinha