Jim Devine writes:

Ajit continues, on the so-called "transformation problem": "...
What Marx is attempting to prove by transforming values to prices
of production is that his basic theoretical categories given by
constant capital (c), variable capital (v), and surplus value (s)
are determined from outside the market forces. All the three
variables are defined and measured in *embodied labour* units. C
is given by the current technology, V is determined by the social
and historical forces, and S is determined by the class
struggle."

I've already indicated some citations from vol. I of CAPITAL that
indicate that Marx only used "embodied labor units" for a static
society such as "simple commodity production." In a dynamic
society such as capitalism, we have to be concerned with moral
depreciation. I also noted that Marx writes that if the market
"cannot stomach" all that is produced, embodied labor can turn
out ex post to be socially useless and thus not be part of value.
So "market forces" play a role in determining values (though he
usually abstracted from this fact, assuming full realization of
value produced).  Jim
_________________________

Now we are getting somewhere! I think your interpretation of value is
incorrect. You don't seem to make the difference between "value" and "market
prices"--a difference quite important to Marx's theory. "Value" is defined at
the point where there is no realization problem. Whenever supply and demand
(and they are not demand and supply schedules) do not match, market prices
diverge from value. The "law of value" basically refers to the tendency of the
market prices to move toward the value, as if value was the gravitational
point just like the law of gravitation. Let me ask you a question, to "push"
you to think positively rather than always in negative terms on this issue. Can
you say that a commodity X has L hrs. of labour as its value? And if you can,
then how do you arrive at this L?  ajit
__________________________
There have been a lot of articles opposing the "embodied labor"
interpretation (usually associated with the neo-Ricardian or
Sraffian perspective) in CAPITAL & CLASS. Rather than creating a
full-scale bibliography, I'll quote Marx's CAPITAL vol I again:  Jim
_________________________
And you thought I must be unaware of it! I think most of those articles are
poor in quality and don't show very good understanding of Marx. They were
written hurredly and are not good research papers. They rely too much on the
first chapter of *Capital*1, which of course deals with the simple commodity
production--which I thought in your opinion was the "static model" and not the
representative of capitalist economy etc., etc. And their anti-neoRicardianism
is rooted in their interpretation of Marx as a scarcity theorist veiled in the
Marxist jargon such as "allocation of social labour" instead of allocation of
resources with a sprinkle of "dialectical method" and "commodity fetishism".
ajit
_________________________
"Not an atom of matter enters into the objectivity of commodities
as values; in this it is the direct opposite of the coarsely
sensuous objectivity of commodities as physical objects. We may
twist and turn a single commodity as we wish; it remains
impossible to grasp it as a thing possessing value. Remember,
commodities possess an objective character as values only in so
far as they are all expressions of an identical _social_
substance, human labor; their objective character as values is
therefore _purely_ social." (David Smith's altered translation of
the first page of section 3 of chapter 1; my emphasis) Jim
___________________________
What do you think you are trying to prove with this quote Jim. No one has ever
said that *embodied labour* has to do with the physical property of the
commodity. This is the kind of misinterpretation of others position I'm arguing
against. ajit
___________________________
It's not some substance "embodied" in commodities that determines
their value. It's their social context. Jim
____________________________
And, what is the "social context"? ajit
___________________________
Ajit continues: "Market forces only determine prices or 'prices
of production' by reallocating the total surplus among the
exploiting classes so that the condition for reproduction is
established in the bourgeois accounting: 'The various different
capitals here are in the position of shareholders in a joint
stock company, in which the dividends are evenly distributed for
each 100 units' ..."

This vision that capitalists (as individuals) "are in the
position of shareholders in (one big) joint stock company" fits
perfectly with my view that vol. I of CAPITAL makes most sense if
we think of it as describing capitalism as a "societal factory"
in which abstract capital fights abstract labor. It also fits
with the idea that the so-called "transformation problem" is like
a "disaggregation problem," where we go from the "societal
factory" to the vol. III world of concrete and heterogeneous
capital in competition with each other. (It's similar to the
"transformation" of the value of labor-power into wages in ch. 19
of vol. I.)  Jim
___________________________
For a long time I have been keeping quiet about this "social factory". Sounds
like a really bad idea to me. Marx severely criticised Smith for not making the
theoretical distinction between a technical division of labour (i.e. the
division of labour within a factory) and a social division of labour in his pin
factory example. If the whole society is treated as a giant factory, then of
course there is no social division of labour and the whole rationale for
commodity exchange disappears, and so your beloved "commodity fetishism"
disappears along with it--as well as your *Capital and Class* critique of the
"neo-Ricardian" interpretation. I don't understand how can you live so happily
with such contradiction. I guess this is called *dialectics*. And one more
point. The idea of a "societal factory" would take away the competitive element
of the capitalist system. So there goes the main cause of dynamics of the
capitalist system too. Ajit
____________________________

I do wonder how one could ever talk about a "law of distribution"
that is determined "from outside the market forces" in a
capitalist society where "market forces" are so central. (Lenin
defined capitalism as "generalized commodity production," e.g.)  Jim
___________________________
And how does the "market forces" work in your "societal factory" Jim? Is
reference to Lenin supposed to scare me? Well, I'm not scared. ajit
___________________________

BTW, it should be clear that Ricardo's goals (as stated in your
quotes) are very similar to _your interpretation of_ Marx's
goals. But in my reading, Marx went beyond Ricardo's emphasis on
distribution to deal with actual production of the
surplus-product. He saw capitalism as not only an economic system
but a _social_ one. He also was highly concerned with the "laws
of motion" of the system. Except for the discussion of the
"transformation prob" in vol. III, he doesn't deal with static
situations except as a prelude to dynamics (e.g., simple
reproduction is immediately followed by expanded reproduction).
Even there he turns to the oscillations of market prices soon
thereafter.  Jim
____________________________
This is an ideological baloney. And I'm not going to engage you on this one at
this time. Who do you think does not know that Marx's theory of capitalism is
dynamic? The reference of the debate here is the 'transformation problem'.
Remember your quote from Marx about "abstraction"?  By the way, why simple
reproduction is "static" and not "dynamic"? ajit
____________________________

Ajit continues: "And to club Bohm-Bawerk and Bortkiewicz is
simply wrong. ... Bortkiewicz's contribution as a matter of fact
is a critique of Bohm-Bawerk and a defense of Marx."

Yes, but Bortkewicz's defense of Marx involved an implicit
critique (very different from B-B's) that said that Marx was
inferior to Ricardo or perhaps a minor post-Ricardian. Jim
Have you really read Bortkewicz Jim? I seriously doubt it now. ajit
We will deal with "commodity fetishism" at some appropriate time.
Cheers, ajit sinha