In the midst of his very interesting and useful thoughts on math,
Gil writes that "even if one doesn't agree with the premises of
Okishio's theorem, who would have known that Marx's claim was
inconsistent with those premises before Okishio's proof?"

I think this example shows up some of the limitations of
mathematics as often applied to economics, though they do not
apply to math _per se_.  The fact is that Okishio's premise
(constant real wages) is _not_ the same as Marx's (constant rate
of surplus-value), so that Okishio's theorem is not really a
critique of Marx. Pen-l will be glad to hear that I am not
criticizing Gil here, since I think he is familiar with the
problems arising from the conflation of the two assumptions (with
Marx's, real wages rise with productivity). What I'm commenting
on is the fact that many or even most of the writings since
Okishio ignored this confusion and even ignored John Roemer's
generalization of Okishio to a case that approximates the
constant rate of surplus-value assumption. The authors wanted to
talk about, apply, and extend Okishio's math and how it "proved"
Marx wrong. I hope that authors such as Dave Laibman (and Gil
himself & Frank Thompson) have gotten us away from the
constant-real-wage assumption.

The moral of the story is that one has to remember that math is a
_means to an end_ (it's formalized logic) and should not become
an end in itself, replacing scholarly discussion of the subject
matter (such as actual reading of Marx) or other methods (such as
dialectics).

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ., Los Angeles, CA 90045-2699 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way
and let people talk.) -- K. Marx, paraphrasing Dante A.