Marsh Feldman writes

> (3) Because the homeowner has some equity to lose, the
> Bank is more willing to believe a homeowner will eventually
> catch up in payments.

I see your point. Maybe a renter can get away without paying rent
for 2 months while a homeowner might get by not making
mortgage payments for 5 months. But still, the loss experienced
by the homeowner would be much greater at the end of 5 months
as all the equity is lost. I guess it depends on how the two factors
(longer time to get away with not paying the mortgage + big
loss if no job found after 5 months unemployed).

FYI, during the golden age (1954-1964) the average time a job loser
was without a job was about 5 1/2 months. This seems almost long
enough for a homeowner to face foreclosure. And, as this is the
average, many experience longer spells of job loss than this. In the
Reagan/postReagan years the average spell of unemployment has
been about 6 months for an unemployed job loser.

I wonder how long the average time to foreclosure is after mortgage
payments have been stopped?

Eric Nilsson
Department of Economics
California State University