Does anyone disagree with the following:

1) The purpose of US aid to other countries is not to improve the living
conditions of poor people in those countries but to prop up pro-US elites,
subsidize US corporations, thwart independent economic development, and
pursue other US political objectives.

2) Compared to the status quo, poor people in recipient countries would be
better off if all US foreign aid were eliminated. (As I recall this is the
position that Frances Moore Lappe took in a Food First publication I read
several years ago. I don't know if this represents current thinking at Food
First.)

The point here is not about cutting off aid to undemocratic regimes. (As
Daniel Ellsberg put it very eloquently in "Hearts and Minds" about US
policy in Vietnam: "We're not on the wrong side. We ARE the wrong side.")

Many liberals honestly think (I mean here folks in the heartland, not
policy wonks) that US foreign aid is about helping poor people. The present
terms of the debate -- stingy Jesse Helms wants to cut foreign aid,
good-hearted liberals want to save it -- fosters the miseducation that
foreign aid is about helping poor people. I want to challenge that.

During the debate over public funding of CPB someone posted remarks in
Congress by Bernie Sanders where he pointed out that CPB has failed its
mandate to serve the public by being cravenly pro-corporate in its
programming, etc. and threatened to vote against CPB funding in the future.
It seems to me that lefties in Congress should be taking advantage of the
debate on foreign aid to say something similar here.

I don't doubt that there are some people in AID who are trying to do good
things. (Of course, there are liberals in the CIA too... the folks I have
known who take development seriously wouldn't work for AID because AID's
policies are fundamenatally in conflict with grassroots economic
development. And then you have AID's connections with the CIA, AIFLD,
etc...) And I know from experience that there are good folks in the donor
countries who know how to play the game and get some of AID's money --
which while a puny portion of the US budget, is still a substantial pile to
the people doing this kind of work -- to use for good things. And the
outcome of the current debate will no doubt be to tie expenditures even
more tightly to imperialist objectives.

If nothing else, US foreign aid will never be completely eliminated because
of the Israel lobby, but that's another story...

Bob Naiman