I sent a response which I thought was to pen-l
whaich I now believe went to Tavis Barr offnet.  If
this ends up a repeat, I apologize in advance.
     1)  A source on the role of secondary education of women and
birth rates can be found in cover story in the Feb. 1994 issue
of _Scientific American_ by Partha Dasgupta.  More generally
this finding has been widely verified in many studies.
     2)  I am extremely skeptical that anything near 40% of Puerto
Rican women of child-bearing age have been strilized against their wills.
For one thing the Roman Catholic Church  would have raised holy hell.
For another, there has been no US funding for any population control
during the whole Reagan-Bush period.  When would this have happened?
     3)  I also question the statement that Islamic men are more
concerned about birth control than are Islamic women.  If this is the
case, then why did the Iranian birth rate soar after the Shi'i
fundamentalist takeover in 1979?
Barkley Rosser