In Outbox: Your outgoing mail ernst said:
On Mon, 31 Jul 1995 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>Ajit,
>
>Ok.  You are asking how various prices are determined in Marx's CAPITAL.
What I
_________________________
>John,
>
>It seems you are taking prices, which cannot be but market prices, as
*given*.
>Now market prices are the most evanescent variable among all the variables
in
>economics. To build Marx's theory of value and accumulation on the *given*

>market prices would be, in my opinion, akin to commiting a theoretical
suicide.
>I hope I have misunderstood you--but my sense is that I have not. In that
case,
>I will urge you most sincerely to rethink this whole issue one more time.
Now

___________________
>What is "market values" by the way? I think we are getting more and more
deep
>in trouble with the whole concept of value. Now, as far as your question
of
>what determines the rate of accumulation? I think we have a fairly good
idea
>that it is the *rate of profit* for classical economists as well as Marx.
>
>Cheers again, ajit sinha
Ajit,

Some comments.

1. No, I do not think you are "steeped" in  modern economics in the
neoclassical sense.  I infer, however, that price theory is of concern to
you.

2. I don't think the rate of profit is THE determinant of the rate of
accumulation.  It seems to me that we ought to be concerned as Marx was
with the accumulation funds that build as fixed capital depreciates.  We
should also be concerned with technical change as well as the aged nature
of the technologies used in production.   Not all of these would
immediately affect the rate of profit but could and do impact the rate of
accumulation.

3.  To say that to build a theory on market prices is suicidal seems to
indicate that we are not communicating.   Market prices are the concrete
starting point for any theory that attempts to grasp reality.   We know
them -- they are given.   To travel from the cncrete to the abstract we
next encounter market values, prices of production, and ultimately values
and abstract labor.  Thus to travel from abstract labor to prices is not a
process of  a matter of deriving anything, but should be a matter of
retracing the steps already familiar to the one presenting the argument and
ultimately those presented with it.   The difficulty in this matter is that
the reality of market prices is more than simply a set of prices
encountered in day to day affairs.

Best to you,

John

--