On Thu, 24 Aug 1995, John R. Ernst wrote: >
> Harry,
>
> Can you suggest critiques of Genovese's slavery stuff that show how his
> present and past politics are "embodied"  in his Political Economy of
> Slavery, Roll, Jordan Roll, et al.

John:

If by "critiques" you mean written/published critiques, I cannot. I've
never seen the kind of critique I have in mind.  However, it is implicit
in the work of what I would casually call "real" Marxist historians of
slavery, such as C.L.R.James in his BLACK JACOBINS and George Rawick in
his FROM SUNDOWN TO SUNUP.  Whereas Genovese's preoccupations from early
on were primarily concerned with understanding southern slavery in terms
of a non-capitalist "mode of production" headed by a distinct planter ruling
class --an approach which diverted our attention from the self-activity
of the slaves and from class struggle-- those two authors approached
slavery from the bottom-up, seeking an understanding of the dynamics of
struggle from the point of view of the slaves themselves.  Although I
can't prove it, my guess is that it was this kind of infinately more
interesting work --that constituted a political alternative to his
own previous approach-- that prompted Genovese to do the work that led to
ROLL, JORDON ROLL. When James reissued THE BLACK JAOBINS in 1962 he
attached an essay "From Toussaint L'Overture to Fidel Castro" tying his
1938 work directly to Third World revolution in the 1960s. James was
getting plenty of play from the New Left by the end of 1960s, e.g.,
RADICAL AMERICA's Special Issue in May 1970. Rawick, who had worked with
and was inspired by James, and who had been assembling a massive
collection of slave narratives, published his FROM SUNDOWN TO SUNUP in
1972.  More generally, by the late 1960s "bottom-up" history focusing on
the self-activity of the working class (e.g., Thompson, Hill, Hilton) was
rapidly displacing top-down narratives both from the right (most
mainstream history) and from the left (e.g., Dobb, Geneovese) in the
attentions of young, progressive historians and activist readers of
history. Genovese's ROLL,JORDON,ROLL appeared in 1974.

Now the interrelationship of the historical work of all these authors
with their theory and their politics is one of the most interesting
things about them --and too often ignored by those who read their work
as merely history.  Just as we can only understand Genovese's approach
to slavery within the context of his own politics, so is this also true
for the others. THE BLACK JACOBINS certainly bears the mark of James'
Trotskyism in that period, just as Thompson's MAKING OF THE
ENGLISH WORKING CLASS was shaped by his prior experience in the
Communist Party. The ability of their students and followers to go
beyond the limits of the work of such major figures in Marxist history,
has in turn been closely related to their own experience with theory
and politics.  You can begin to get a sense of this by looking at the
work of one of Thompson's students, Peter Linebaugh. On the one hand
you can examine his historical work in ALBION'S FATAL TREE and his
magistral THE LONDON HANGED; on the other you can look at his
pamphleteering political uses of his historical research, e.g., his
LIZARD TALK gift to the AIDS movement (now available on-line at
gopher://mundo.eco.utexas.edu:70/1m/mailing/chiapas95.archive/Lizard%20Talk)
or his recent article to THE NATION concerning Mumia and the death penalty.

I wish I knew, and could give you, a citation to an article of the kind
that needs to be written about Genovese's history, his theory and his
politics, but I can't. Nor do I have time to write one, at this point.
Sorry.

Harry