Re the support offered by Michael Etchison for D'Souza's and Cox's
claim that:
> the culture forged in resistance to slavery becomes dysfunctional
> in the industrial North.

1) There were industrial slaves in the ante-bellum south. They made
lots of things in these slave factories. A literature exists that
makes the point that slavery (and antebellum southern Black
culture) did not make industry impossible. On my desk
is now "Coal, Iron, and Slaves: Industrial Slavery in Maryland and
Virginia, 1715-1865". Those who claim slavery and industry
are incompatable are not aware of this large literature: this
speaks badly for their historical research and knowledge.

2) Bateman and Weiss in "A Deplorable Scarcity: The Failure
of the Industrialization of the Slave South" point,
with econometric evidence, to SLAVEHOLDER culture
as holding  back investment in industry. There was a
strong social backlash against WHITE SLAVEHOLDERS
who invested in industry as this was considered to be an attack
on the way of life of WHITE SLAVEHOLDER culture.

I could go on and on about the lack of awareness of the
historical record by those making blanket claims about
the link between "Black culture" and later economic
problems but I won't. One result of my study of
industry in the ante-bellum US south is found in,
there it comes another shameless plug -- two in
one day --, "Empirical Evidence that the Social
Relations of Production Matters: The case of the
antebellum US South," CJE 1994.

Eric Nilsson
Department of Economics
California State University