Sorry  to  clog  up the airwaves again but  Paul's  (PEN-
L1026) post has drawn my attention to an error. I said

[I    am    therefore  slightly  uncertain  about  Paul's
conclusion [PEN-L  939] that a lower interest rate  calls
forth a  larger supply  of  loanable capital...etc..

Paul said
If  I said this, it was certainly not what I intended  to
say. Firstly I do not believe there is such a thing as  a
supply of money or loanable funds. There is a statistical
practice  of adding up bank deposits and calling  this  a
supply of money, which is another thing. I said that high
interest  rates, to the extent that they  accelerate  the
polarisation  of capital, simultaneously  accelerate  the
growth  of  debt  and  hence of bank deposits.  Hence  it
appears  that  high interest rates have  called  forth  a
larger supply of loanable funds.

(i) I should have said a *higher* interest rate.

(ii)I  accept  that I wasn't totally clear  about  Paul's
point  and  I am happy to accept his own version  of  his
argument.

I  make  one point which might clarify things a bit:   In
Marx  and still, I think, in the real world, there  is  a
process  which   converts  money  (proper   money)   into
loanable  capital,  there is a   process  which  converts
loans  back  into  money,  and there  is  a   distinction
between the two.

Suppose for simplicity I keep money in a bedsock  in  the
form of  a gold hoard. If, as a result of a high interest
rate,  I  take it out of the sock and loan it to someone,
then I have converted money into loanable capital. If, as
a  result of a low interest rate, I call in my due  loans
and  issue  no  new ones, then I have converted  loanable
capital into money. This is what, perhaps  erroneously, I
thought Paul was referring to.

Pools   of   money  arise  naturally  in  the  cycle   of
reproduction  because  private individuals  are  paid  in
money  which they save up, if they are sufficiently well-
off,  to create a reserve for durables.. This is,   after
all,  what  gave  rise to the Scottish banks  which  were
essentially thrifts.

The  issue is more complex when money accumulates in bank
deposits instead of bedsocks because, in a certain sense,
the  mere  fact  of placing the money  with  a  bank  has
already  converted it into loan capital, as is proven  by
the  fact  that  the bank increases its  lending  on  the
strength of its deposits.

However  as  a  first simplification  I  don't  think  it
unreasonable   to treat  money at call (current accounts)
as  money since current  accounts are technically  always
at  the  disposition of  the depositor. They are treating
the  bank as a bedsock. If the banks  are allowed to  get
away  with using this as a fund for part of their  loans,
then this is essentially a swindle (cf the crisis of  the
US  thrifts)  which  should be treated  as  part  of  the
business of the banks and not  of the depositors  who  do
not  regard their deposits as loans but as  a mere  place
of safe keeping; a perception which is backed up by their
legal right to withdraw the money in 'cash' at a time  of
their  choosing.  But even here the  'cash'  consists  of
bearer  instruments  backed by the  government;  I  would
certainly have trouble arguing that dollars or pounds  do
not   consititute  money  just  because  they   are   not
redeemable for gold.

But  I  agree that it is upside down to speak as  if  the
deposits  themselves constitute the money.  The  deposits
are  the  measure  of  the  money   which,  at  least  in
principle, exists independent of the deposits.

Alan