I wonder if any on pen-l can help with resources (especially
published ones) on two related topics:
        1. The extent to which AFL-CIO orientation has moved away from
           AIFLD counter-subversion orientation in post-NAFTA period.
           Either in practice or in statements of contending leaders.

        2. Any treatments of AFL-CIO participation in National Endowmwnt
           for Democracy - (I have the policy report of the Council on
           Hemispheric Affairs and Inter-Hemispheric Education Resource
           Center- "NED:A Foreign Policy Branch Gone Awry" and the July/
           Aug '95 _Z_ article by Jim Smith). Any references specifically
           to Mexico would be appreciated.

I have been interested since NAFTA first emerged to see change in policy
direction and have (debate) students interested in developing a fuller
case in connection with this year's national collegiate topic: that the
U.S. should fundamentally change its foreign policy toward Mexico.

        Thanks for any help,    Maury Foisy
                                Political Science
                                Western Washington University
                                Bellingham