I strongly recommend the interview with Gary Burtless in the latest issue of
CHALLENGE on this topic.  It is wide-ranging and easy to follow--an excellent
supplement to an undergrad econ course, by the way.  (The fact that I have a
somewhat different take on the issues than Burtless is irrelevant; his
interview is entirely clear and fair.)  The NEW YORKER article, on the other
hand, was written by someone too insecure of his own views to adopt a critical
perspective on the economists he quotes.  I would shun any "experts say..."
piece for use in the classroom.

Peter Dorman