I think it is important that the ORIGINAL arguments in favor of tax
progressivity be clearly developed --- Virtually EVERYONE who supports what
they call a "flat tax" believes there ought to be a ZERO bracket -- that is,
a level of income FREE of taxation so that no one in poverty pays income tax
on their poverty level wages.

Thus, the argument in favor of progressivity is already SOMEWHAT conceded by
even those who support a flat tax.

Then we get to the question of whether INCOME ABOVE POVERTY should be
subjected to one rate or rising rates.  The basis of the progressivity
argument here is the intensity of the need for the income as you are close
to the poverty level.  The whole point of "ability to pay" as a principle of
taxation is that one can afford to part with a higher percentage of your
income because as your income goes up, the PERCENTAGE you're spending on
necessities shrinks, the percentage you're spending on luxuries goes up.  A
single rate would tax a higher percentage of the income needed for
necessities of the near poor and lower middle class than it would of the
rich --- only escalating rates with approximate EQUAL taxation on "non
necessity income"

This is somewhat complicated but it really is an important point.  One must
somehow illustrate the RISING ability to pay taxes as incomes rise.

Another point:  "flattening" the tax rates to a single rate over a zero
braket means a TAX BOOST for the lower middle class who are barely above
poverty.

all the best, Mike
--
Mike Meeropol