I'm saddened to see Bill Mitchell taking the line he has on France. This
conflict isn't about the specifics of Juppe's proposals, which are quite
mild by US standard. As Daniel Singer told me, everyone recognizes that
these are the "thin edge of the wedge," the overture to a long process of
making the EU more like the US, with "flexible" labor markets and a
crummier welfare state. It may not be like the romance of '68, and the
unions might not be exemplars of political sophistication, but this is a
struggle over real stuff that's important on a global scale. It may be
crude to reduce one's position on the strikes to a binary for/against
choice, but sometimes politics is that way. Sorry to see that Bill is
trying to straddle the virgule.

Actually I don't really know what position the French unions have taken on
immigrants, but I don't doubt that immigrants will be worse off if Juppe's
austerity plan goes through.

I also don't know the details of the French fiscal situation over the long
term. I do know that the dire projections of the US being swamped by
dependent geezers in 2020 are highly exaggerated, and part of a long-term
plan to chip away at our public retirement system. I'd be very careful
about believing official projections uncritically. But even if they're
true, that doesn't mean that Juppe's approach is right, does it? Aren't
there democratic & egalitarian ways to solving this problem that may not
really exist?

Doug

--

Doug Henwood