Terry McD writes: >>Political correctness was not a Maoist term,
politically incorrect was a Maoist phrase ... It was used to
describe propositions which were thought to be wrong for one
reason or another. [The] use [of the phrase "politically
incorrect"] was meant to emphasize on the one hand that
conclusions should be reached as the result of
analysis rather than the unthinking application of abstract moral
principles and on the other hand that analysis inevitably has
political consequences.<<

It's interesting that the actual PCites on the left (I've met a
few) tend to have conclusions that were _not_ "reached as the
result of analysis rather than the unthinking application of
abstract moral principles"; they also tend to ignore the
political consequences. The actual PCites tend to be more
liberal, tending toward idealism, than Marxist (though they are
radical).

They tend to be obsessed with correct terminology and the
alledged positiv effects of its use. For example, there is the
view that using the "correct" term (e.g. "Native American") is a
major step forward, even if we never get rid of the objective
conditions that make life for American Indians so difficult.  But
I've noticed that the "PC" terms tend to take on bad -- racist --
connotations if the objective conditions aren't changed (as with
the term "Black," which is why many supported the introduction of
"African American").

I'm all in favor of being polite (except in extreme situations),
and thus use the term "African American" when appropriate.  But I
don't think use of the term really can change objective
conditions unless other factors change. Further, my wife works
with Indians (in a public health education project) and tells me
that most of them see "Native American" as an academic term,
preferring to be called "American Indians" or simply "Indians."

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way
and let people talk.) -- K. Marx, paraphrasing Dante A.