On Thu, 14 Dec 1995 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Andrew Kliman here, responding to Jim Jaszewski's ad hominem response to my
> post re why I left the Marxism list.

        If that's your idea of what ad hominem is, then no wonder people
like you have difficulty reaching agreement with people like me...

> But the rest exhibits a persistent tendency of some on the Marxism list--the
>  tendency to divert the discussion.  Jim thinks that's okay, but instead of
>  reproducing my comments in context, he snips bits and pieces in order to
> make it sound like (a) I only care about my own needs, (b) I somehow
> implied that the list could not go on without me, and (c) I was comparing
>  my talents and achievements to Marx's.

        Ya. Sure.  I took you out of context -- more likely I brought to
the fore your unconscious motivations.

> This is bullshit.  My whole post, and the post as a whole, was meant to
>  criticize the charges that people who've left the Marxism list have done
>  so (implicitly:  that ALL have done so) because they are ivory-tower
>  academics who don't care about real issues of concern to real people, and
>  especially that one is not "much of a Marxist" if s/he leaves the list
>  because of its "grittiness and informality."  My point about Marx is that
>  his work required serious thought, patience, concentration, and discipline,
>  not the continual "gritty" and "informal" diversions that characterize the
>  Marxism list.  By these criteria, Marx was not much of a Marxist, because
>  he sat in the library instead of being active in the mid-1880s equivalent
>  of the Marxism list--spending all day and night at the pub with the blokes
>  in a freewheeling inebriated banter.

        You really don't get it, do you??

        The Marxism List is about REAL LIFE.  Scholarship is a big part of
it, but not *ALL* of it.  If that peeves some academics, then so be it...

> And I've got no doubt that there exist enough types like this that the Marxism
>  list will continue and thrive.  For those who have the time to wade through
>  all the nonsense, and let their discussions get sidetracked by others so
>  that development of ideas is made all the harder, I'm sure there will
> continue to be gems in the Marxism list among all the junk, and I'm glad that
>  the list exists for them.  As for the others on the list, let the dead
>  bury the dead.

        Again:  you are just another one who cannot see that they are
really complaining about List *VOLUME*...

        Do some self-criticism, bub.

|                    stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal                   |
|             if you agree copy these 3 sentences in your own sig            |
|         more info: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm          |
| Jim Jaszewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     PGP Public Key available. |
| http://www.freenet.hamilton.on.ca/~ab975/Profile.html                      |