Paul Philips posting about Unionism in an important contribution.  Sorry that
many penners will not read it because of the unsubbings for the break in
the academic year.

Our unions in the U.S. had done terrible things, sometimes spending more
energy fighting for the CIA than in organizing workers.  Many union leaders
are bloated bureaucrats, indistinguishable from their corporate brethern.

Now that unionism is wobbly [with a small w], after a series of set backs
from PATCO to Caterpiller, it is easy to take pot shots at their failures.

Instead, we should do what we can to invorate unions.  Certainly, we, as
economists, should have something to contribute, maybe even from pen-l.

Also, we should celebrate the victories as they occur, such as Manitoba.
Also, I think the new agreement with the Gap maybe a harbinger of good
things.

 --
Michael Perelman
Economics Department