Treacy: The Fed to my knowledge pays no taxes but contributes part of its
        profits to the Treasury. This subject was one that was near and dear
        to Congressman Wright Patman of Texas.  He used to be concerned with
        the fact that the Fed was not subject to Congressional oversight
        in its spending.  On occasion he would hold hearings and ask about
        expeditures on ice sculptures at their wing dings, An old friend who
        used to work for the Dallas Fed once told me that the ice sculptures
        was the most visable form of their extravgence.

        He pointed out that the plain black Fords driven by Fed officals
        all were air conditioned, automatic shifts, and police interceptor
        engined long before this became common for the ordinary American.
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] COPYRIGHTED