From:   IN%"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" 22-DEC-1994 16:47:24.42
It is with great sadness that we learn of the death of Philip
Foner on Tuesday, December 13, 1994 in Philadelphia, age 84, of
cardiac arrest.  His works were long part of the basic education
of a generation of historians who looked for traditions outside
of consensus history.

The son of Russian immigrants, he was born on New York's Lower
East Side and grew up in Brooklyn.  A graduate of City College and
Columbia University, he and his brothers were fired in 1941 in a
purge of New York City teachers.  In 1981, the City University of
New York formally apologized.  From 1967 to 1979 he taught at
Lincoln University.

He is the author of more than fifty works and collections.  His
multi-volume History of American Labor long stood as one of the
most comprehensive radical critiques of the mainstream labor
movement.  Many of his students and friends are represented
in David Roediger's Our Own Time: A History of American Labor
and the Working Day (NY: Verso, 1989).  His life was marked
by scholarship and controversy.

He will be sorely missed.

Seth Wigderson H-labor moderator