In partial response to Doug H.'s latest post (which I by and large
agree with) it strikes me that the valuation of the ecosystem and the
objective limits this sets on the size of the human economy
establishes a standard by which to judge the implementation of
technology which goes beyond the "it should be under democratic
control" position.  The criterion, applied prior to the technology's
implementation, is does this technology increase human well-being
without further encroaching on the eco-system.  A lot of our current
technology would flunk this test.   But then again so would a lot of
traditional practices which are the basis for the pomo aesthetic
preference for cultural diversity.

Terry McDonough