[from Refuse and Resist!]

                                  RESIST 96

A NEW POLITICS OF CRUELTY RULES THE LAND. All of our futures are in
jeopardy, unless we understand it, resist it, and stop it.

While stock markets skyrocket and the rich get immensely richer, economic
and quality of life disaster stalk millions. Jobs are being eliminated by
the hundreds of thousands. Wages for those who have jobs slide to ever lower
levels. Medical benefits for the poor and elderly are being gutted. There is
an attempt to channel the fear and anxiety of the middle class against those
on the bottom. People of color, women and immigrants are blamed for all that
is wrong. Special attempts are made to scapegoat, isolate and attack
African-Americans.

THERE HAS BEEN RESISTANCE. People have defended abortion clinics, fought
against police brutality, and challenged the religious right's purging of
local libraries in the suburbs. Movements have arisen to defend the rights
of immigrants and preserve affirmative action, and students have fought cuts
in education. And the planned execution of dissident journalist Mumia
Abu-Jamal was halted last summer.

But this resistance must become more widespread, more comprehensive, and
more organized. Put bluntly, the politically powerful are putting into place
a lot of the ideology and police powers of fascism, and our efforts have not
been equal to either the enormity of their program or the viciousness of
their attacks.

WITH SO MUCH AT STAKE, Refuse & Resist! is calling you to a national
assembly - RESIST 96. We need all who are working to stop the politics of
meanness forged by the right. Come to RESIST 96 and let us put a real
counter force into practice by

   * breaking the national debate =A0 out of the narrow confines set by the
     right wing
   * building a fighting alliance =A0 between the targeted poor and the midd=
le
     class
   * forging unity =A0 between women and men, between people of color and
     white people, between immigrant and native born, by launching the
     broadest possible response to all the attacks
   * taking resistance to a higher level =A0 by linking those already
     resisting around the country into a national network and building
     Refuse & Resist!
   * celebrating =A0 our resistance and the future that are ours through
     performance and art.

RESIST 96 offers an opportunity to learn from and develop the best
experience from around the country into actual and workable programs on key
national fronts. There will be workshops that go deeply into key battles and
important questions and major sessions to strengthen the links and
organization necessary for resistance today.

                       To the racists and women haters
                   To the gay-bashers and welfare slashers
                   To the prison builders and executioners
                      We say: the future is not yours.

                       REFUSE THE POLITICS OF CRUELTY
                       UNLEASH A SPIRIT OF RESISTANCE

   Register now for =A0 RESIST 96, the third National Conference of Refuse &
                                  Resist!,
                New York, April 26 - 28. Phone 212-713-5657.

THIS MESSAGE IS BEING SENT TO EVERYONE WHO HAS EMAILED <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
DURING THE PAST SIX MONTHS -- THIS IS NOT AN AUTOMATED LISTSERVER!

Contact Refuse & Resist!
305 Madison Ave., Suite 1166, New York, NY 10165
Phone: 212-713-5657
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://www.calyx.com/~refuse/index.html