>if output/person-hour is the measure then it all depends on whether the per
>hour output is constant, rising or falling.

Dear Professor Mitchell:

Here is an attempted reply; if it is incompetent, please be honest.

I am suggesting that the productivity measure should be output/person-hour
at a given level of intensity.  If that person-hour becomes twice as
intense, then the denominator should be doubled. Perhaps intensification
shows up in the statistics indirectly-- a rise in industrial accidents, for
example.

But this is only the beginning of the problem if we work from Marx's theory
of value.

Intensification leads to increased output and total value produced, to be
sure, but unit values would remain the same as the greater mass of output
would have been purchased through a de facto prolongation of the working
day (e.g., what was downtime is now working time.)  This would only be
another way of saying productivity has *not* increased.

However with an increase in productivity,  unit values would decline.  What
are the implications?

 With intensification, if the value of labor-power remains the same, the
worker would not be able to consume a greater mass of use-values as unit
values have not declined. Even increasing the value of labor-power would
not enable much greater consumption. There is a threat here of the  wage
being insufficient to. compensate labor for the enforced intensified
expenditure of its energy.

The result is different with an increase in productivity.  With the same
value of labor power, workers  could consume more use-values if unit values
of consumer goods have declined sufficiently.  Great increases in
productivity of course can even make possible a simulateneous reduction in
necessary labor time (the value of labor power) and an increase in the real
wage.  This is not true with intensification.

So the question becomes: is it inherent in capital to depend on
intensification at a late stage of its development?  If that can be
demonstrated, then perhaps the much maligned theory of increasing misery
need not be revised, and the meliorist position would become untenable.

If my argument is incompetent, it is doubtless an unfortunate result of my
incomprehension of

Geoffrey Kay, 1979. The Economic Theory of the Working Class. London: 72ff
(Kay introduces the concept of the "value of labor" to clarify the
argument).

Kay's position is not as deterministic as Henryk Grossmann's; see

Kenneth Lapides, 1994. "Henryk Grossmann on Marx's Wage Theory and the
'Increasing Misery' Controversy", History of Political Economy, 26, 2:
239-266.

If I may say, I think it is very important for those with the competence
(Jerry, Blair, you and others) to continue this discussion about
productivity, intensification and the theory of the wage. I'll be listening
in...

Rakesh Bhandari