What's wrong with conceding the point but reinterpreting the terms and
explaining their significance? It's probably true that "economic
freedom"--that is, capitalist production relations--causes higher economic
groiwth and tends to increase, perhaps maximize wealth--for a few. And
that "causes" is a real, not a statistical concept.

Of course the claim has to be qualified in lots of ways that all pen-l=ers
will know. For latecomers and less developed countries, high growth has
been correlated with, and partly caused by, extensive planning and state
intervention, so called, in th economy. "Economic freedom" for lessd
deveoped  countries doesn't produce high growth in comparison to the more
interventionist dragon nations and in the third tier nations is just a
license too loot. In the ex-Bloc countries too.

And of course growth correlates imperfectly with well-being, for the
obvious reason that if a tiny minority hogs all the wealth, the vast
majority has nothing.

But like most ideological noncepts, the purported correlation at issue is
based on a grain of important truth,

--Justin