Eric says that the duality of structurea nda gency is unproductive when we
realize that we cannot do without either pole. But this is the very idea
he conceded was old hat, that we cannot doi without either pole. Very few
theories insist on structurew ithout agency or vice versa. Certainly not
the classic trio of Marx, Weber, or Durkheim. Ceriantly not rational
choice theory or marginalist economics. A few superstructuralists of
recemt vintage do without agency (perhaps). It's hard to think of someome
who does without structure. Somehow I do not think that insistence on the
old hat is Gidden's contribution.

Nor is the stricture against reification of structure. Marx insists quite
early on that, for example, "History fights no battle, makes no profits,
etc. It is men, living men who do these things." (Paraphrased from The
Holy Family.) This sort of thought is pretty common to most social
theories. y ) Giddens objects that Marx is some sort of narrow
structuralist who denies agency, but this is manifestyly wrong. Anyway,
this sort of thought is pretty common to modern social theory. I mean the
anti-reification line.

Callinicos objects taht Giddens actually tends the other way, collapsing
structure into agency and in effect denying the reality of structure. G
is, he thinks, methodologically individualist in an eliminative way.
Structure for G, accoirding to C, is nothing but the unintended
consequences of individual actions. There may be some merit to the charge
that G goes to far against structure.

Well, more later.

--Justin