>From an article on downsizing at AT&T:

        "People need to look at themselves as self-employed, as vendors who
come to this company to sell their skills," explained James Meadows, one
of AT&T's vice presidents for human resources, who has helped define the
company's new rules of engagement.
        "In AT&T, we have to promote the whole concept of the work force
being contingent, though most of our contingent workers are inside our
walls," Mr. Meadows said. "Jobs" are being replaced by "projects" and
"fields of work," he said, giving rise to a society that is increasingly
"jobless but not workless."

        -- The New York Times,  February 13, 1996