There has been a fruitful exchange going back over 10 years in the
journals on the question of how much is inherited, with Summers and
Kotlikoff on one hand and Modigliani on the other. At issue is
methodology and what counts as "inheritance" (for instance, should
money spent by parents on raising children and sending them to college count?) Summers
ends up
with a figure of <at least> 45% of the wealth being inherited, I
believe, but estimates range from 20-80%. (!)

I believe Edward Wolff also has some numbers showing that most of the
growth in wealth since 1962 is simply the appreciation of already
existing wealth, which would be another way to look at it.

I too would be interested in hearing from those who are on top of this
question more precisely.

best,
Thad Williamson