>I was told but was unable to confirm that Disney's copyright of the Tasmanian
>devil restricted what could be written about it in Australia.  Urban legend?

Nope.  Absolutely true.  The Tasmanian Trade Commission wanted to use a
Tassie Devil as the graphic fulcrum of an expensively produced marketing
strategy in 1998.  Disney threatened legal action - on a critter that looks
nothing like their fanciful version - and Tassie. the only place in the
world where you can see a wild devil, had to pull the plug on the campaign.

Cheers,
Rob.