Hey Pen-L hope some of you folks will sign on to this.  Elaine Bernard

April 10, 1996

From: Frank Riessman

Attached is the latest statement that emerged from the Social Policy Forum
on the Balanced Budget.  If you would like to add your name to this list,
please let us know.  Your comments are also
welcome.

List of supporters

Elaine Bernard
Norman Birnbaum
Roscoe Brown
Timothy Canova
Sheila Collins
Noam Chomsky
Jeff Faux
Herb Gans
Audrey Gartner
Helen Lachs Ginsburg
Philip L. Harvey
Andrew Humm
David Dyssegaard Kallick
Lowell S. Levin
Al Marcus
Robert McIntyre
Roy Metcalf
S.M. Miller
Janice Nittoli
Art Pearl
Dolores Perin
Frank Riessman
Sumner Rosen
Robert Schwartz
Lynn Turgeon
William Vickrey
June Zaccone

THE "BALANCED BUDGET" MOVEMENT IS A THREAT TO OUR ECONOMY

Our Democratic President and Republican Congress have both embraced the
goal of "balancing the budget" on the assumption that government spending
is out of control and that reducing the deficit will lead to long-term
prosperity.  Both of these assumptions are not supported by any evidence in
United States history.

Instead of putting forth a sound program for addressing needs--like
rebuilding our infrastructure--we are called upon by government to absorb
the pain of budget cuts as a sacrifice that will yield a more stable
economy for generations to come.  The opposite is true.

Just as families and individuals borrow to invest in their futures--to pay
for education, a home mortgage, a car, or starting a new business--our
government has borrowed in the past to invest in the future of our people.
Jefferson's Louisiana Purchase created a big debt for a young nation but
also doubled the size of our country.  When collective security--and the
security of the world--was threatened in World War II, we borrowed at
unparalled levels to pay for the war effort.  The result was not
just the defeat of fascism, but emergence from the Great Depression.

Balancing the Budget is the Wrong Strategy

1)  Every sustained period of balancing the budget and reducing the
national debt** has been followed by an economic depression in the U.S.
(The last time was in 1929.  It happened five times before that in 1819,
1837, 1857, 1873, and 1893.)

2)  In 1937, FDR, at the urging of Treasury Secretary Morgenthau, decided
that there was no more need for pump-priming and decided to move toward
balancing the budget.  This sharp change from deficit to surplus financing
had dire repercussions that resulted in a severe contraction of business.
Production fell below the 1930 level, unemployment jumped by three million
within the year, and private investment dropped by nearly one half.  (This
was truly a depression within a depression, as unemployment rose from 14
percent in 1937 to 19 percent in 1938.)

3)  There has been chronic deficit spending since World War II, and this
may have prevented yet another major depression--the longest
depression-free period in our history.  The nine recessions since World War
II have all followed reductions in the deficit relative to Gross Domestic
Product.  The economic growth of the 1980's, moreover, came after increases
in the deficit.

4)  The current levels of debt are not as high as many would have us
believe.  Viewed realistically as a proportion of the Gross Domestic
Product--rather than as a misleading absolute number--the total debt is
currently 71% of GDP, a figure that has been roughly unchanged for the past
three years.  (The proportion of debt held by the public is 51% of GDP.
The other 20% is owed to other government agencies such as the Social
Security Administration.)  The nation's debt increased approximately
sixfold from 1940 to 1946, and it was larger than the GDP in 1945, 1946,
and 1947.

5)  Many say:  I balance my checkbook, why can't the federal government
balance its own?  But few know the unique way the federal government does
its accounting:  It fails to distinguish investment or the acquisition of
capital assets from current expenditures.  By federal accounting methods,
most major businesses, households and state and local governments would be
"in deficit."  To "balance our checkbooks," we would have to give up much
business investment and stop all borrowing to buy a house or car or send
our children to college.

6)  Mandating a balanced budget makes it impossible for the government to
spend the funds necessary in times of  recession when human needs--for
everything from support payments to public employment--increase markedly.
If the government is bound by statute or constitutional amendment to have
no deficit in such times, the situation will be worsened by even more cuts
or tax increases.

7)  The advocacy for balancing the budget is really directed toward a
reordering of government priorities.  One goal of those calling for a
balanced budget is not the attainment of fiscal responsibility, but the
dismantling of government social programs.

We, the undersigned, are calling the "balanced budget" movement what it
is--economically disastrous and socially calamitous.  We call upon Congress
and the President to abandon this goal and to invest the funds necessary to
make America a more livable society by focusing on the creation of decent
and secure jobs, a livable income, guarantee of health care, affordable
housing and other pressing human needs.

**The conventionally measured deficit is the amount of government outlays
that exceed revenues during the year, hence the amount that has to be
borrowed.  The debt is the accumulation of all that has been borrowed, less
what has been paid off.

David Dyssegaard Kallick
Editor, Social Policy
270 Lafayette Street