From: pen-l
Subject: [PEN-L:3895] Re: FW: Daily Report
Date: Monday, April 22, 1996 9:11AM

RE:
  > The last item (on NAM) states that if the overestimation of the CPI is
taken
  > into account, real wages are up since the 70's.  Although I don't
usually
  >  publicize this, it is correct, and word seems to be getting out.
It would take a lot of work to convince me of this.

According to my calculations, real hourly post-tax wages fell about
15% between 1972 and 1993 (using existing CPI). Real hourly post-tax
compensation (taking account of benefits) is down 10% since 1978
(using existing CPI).

Real hourly compensation (1977 dollars)
                                   1977      1993      % change
My estimates          $ 5.57    $ 5.01       -10%

In order to turn this 10% drop into a 15% gain (as claimed by
NAM), the 1993 must be about $6.40. That is, is it really
being argued that a "better" CPI alone is responsible for an
increase in real compensation on  an hourly basis equal to $1.39 by
1993? This is a 28%  increase in 1993 compensation (relative
to using existing CPI). Perhaps this is possible, but if the BLS
measures of CPI are so bad, why hasn't this been noted until
relatively recently?

The LA Times had an article on this NAM report. They quote
the report as saying (more or less) that the authors knew that they
were picking the most favorable assumptions possible in order
to generate their results. Are we to believe that the NAM economists
have scooped the entire economics profession on this particular
point? Hard to believe.

Eric
..

Eric Nilsson