A useful bibliographic source containing 128 items,
some of which have been listed already, and how to access
several databases is
Christine M. Sala
_Edge Cities_
Council of Planning Librarians, 1995
CPL Bibliography 317.
Ms. Sala is with Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Columbia University.
This report is available from either
Council of Planning Librarians
114 North Aberdeen
Chicago, IL 60607-2004 USA
or from
American Planning Association Bookstore
122 South Michigan Avenue, Suite 1600
Chicago, IL 60603-6107.
It is ISBN # 0-86602-317-8.
     BTW, those not living in either the US or Canada may be
somewhat mystified by the assumption in most of this discussion
that inner cities have poor people while suburbs have rich people.
I note for those in the US and Canada (OZ is a mixed bag on this,
I think) that in places where cities did not basically develop since
the introduction of the automobile, that is Europe, Asia, Africa,
Central America, South America, etc. that the pattern tends to be
the opposite:  the rich live downtown and the suburbs are poor/working
class.  One sees the suburban shantytowns without infrastructure on
the edges of many LDC cities.  In Europe, one has places like Paris
where the mayor was for many years the Gaullist, Jacques Chirac.  The
"Red Belt" is the ring of suburbs from St. Denis in the north east
through La Corneuve and Villejuif to Malakoff in the south where even
today there are streets named after Marx, Lenin, Robespierre, Stalingrad,
and Yuri Gagarin.  The same pattern even holds in Moscow where the
nomenklatura lives downtown and the suburbs are full of workers.
Barkley Rosser
PS:  RIP, the real Christopher Robin (Milne), an environmental activist