Thaddeus Stevens , Radical Republican on Reparations

Quoted speaking to the U.S. House of Representatives On Section 4 of H.R. 29 The 1867
Slave Reparation Bill

"The fourth section provides first that out of the lands thus confiscated each
liberated slave who is a male adult, or the head of a family, shall have assigned to
him a homestead of forty acres of land, (with $100 to build a dwelling), which shall
be held for them by trustees during their pupilage. Let us consider whether this is a
just and politic provision. Whatever may be the fate of the rest of the bill I must
earnestly pray that this may not be defeated. On its success, in my judgment, depends
not only the happiness and respectability of the colored race, but their very
existence. Homesteads to them are far more valuable than the immediate right of
suffrage, though both are their due. Four million persons have just been freed from a
condition of dependence, wholly unacquainted with business transactions, kept
systematically in ignorance of all their rights and of the common elements of
education, without which none of any race are competent to earn an honest living, to g!
!
uard against the frauds which will always he practiced on the ignorant, or to judge of
the most judicious manner of applying their labor. But few of them are mechanics, and
none of them skilled manufacturers. They must necessarily, therefore, be the servants
and the victims of others unless they are made in some measure independent of their
wiser neighbors. The guardianship of the Freedmen's Bureau, that benevolent
inatitation, cannot be expected long to protect them. It encounters the hostility of
the old slaveholders, whether in official or private station, because it deprives
these dethroned tyrants of the luxury of despotism. In its nature it is not calculated
for a permanent institution. Withdraw that protection and leave them a prey to the
legislation and treatment of their former masters, and the evidence already furnished
shows that they will soon become extinct, or be driven to defend themselves by civil
war. Withhold from them all their rights, and leave them destitu!
!
te of the means of earning a livelihood, the victims of the hatred
it seems probable that the war of races might ensue which the President feared would
arise from kind treatment and the restoration of their rights. I doubt not that
hundreds of thousands would annually be deposited in secret, unknown graves. Such is
already the course of their rebel murderers; and it is done with impunity. The
clearest evidence of that fact has already been shown by the testimony taken by the
"Central Directory." Make them independent of their old masters, so that they may not
be compelled to work for them upon unfair terms, which can only be done by giving them
a small tract of land to cultivate for themselves, and you remove all this danger. You
also, elevate the character of the freedman. Nothing is so likely to make a man a good
citizen as to make him a freeholder. Nothing will so multiply the productions of the
South as to divide it into small farms. Nothing will make men so industrious and moral
as to let them feel that they are above want and are the ow!
!
ners of the soil which they till. It will also be of service to the white inhabitants.
They will have constantly among them industrious laborers, anxious to work for fair
wages. How is it possible for them to cultivate their lands if these people were
expelled? If Moses should lead or drive them into exile, or carry out the absurd idea
of colonizing them, the South would become a barren waste. When that wisest of
monarchs, the Czar of Russia. compelled the liberation of twenty-five million serfs,
he did not for a moment entertain the foolish idea of depriving his empire of their
labor or of robbing them of their rights. He ordered their former owners to make some
compensation for their unrequited toil by conveying to them the very houses in which
they lived and a portion of the land which they had tilled as serfs. The experiment
has been a perfect success. It has brought the prosperity which God gives to wisdom
and justice. Have they not a right to it? I do not Speak of their !
!
fidelity and services in this bloody war. I put it on the mere sco
toiled, not for years, but for ages, without one farthing of recompense. They have
earned for their masters this very land and much more. Will not he who denies them
compensation now be accursed, for he is an unjust man? Have we not upon this subject
the recorded decision of a Judge who never erred? Four million Jews were held in
bondage in Egypt. Their slavery was mild compared with the slavery inflicted by
Christians. For of all recorded slavery-Pagan, heathen, or Mohammedan-Christian
slavery has been the most cruel and heartless; and of all Christian slavery American
slavery has been the worst. God, through no pretended, but a true Moses, led them out
of bondage, as in our cage, through a Red sea, at the cost, as in our case, of the
first born of every household of the oppressor. Did He advise them to take no
remuneration for their years of labor? No!! He understood too well what was due to
justice. He commanded the men and the women to borrow from their confiding neighhors!
!
 "jewels of silver and jewels of gold and raiment." They obeyed him amply, and spoiled
the Egyptians, and went forth full handed. There was no blasphemer then to question
God's a decree of confiscation. This doctrine then was not "satanic" He who questions
it now will be a blasphemer, whom god will bring to judgment. If we refuse to this
downtrodden and oppressed race the rights which Heaven decreed them, and the
remuneration which they have earned through long years of hopeless oppression, how can
we hope to escape still further punishment if God is just and omnipotent? It may come
in the shape of plagues or of intestine wars-race against race, the oppressed against
the oppressor. But come it will. Seek not to divert our attention from justice by a
puerile cry about fatted calves ! "