I've heard that the UofU has a decent economics department, and I
guess this is evidence.  I'm taking a course in the History of
Economic Thought right now, and enjoying it very much.  It is part of
a 3-quarter series, and I think it's required for PhD, but I'm just
picking up a minor in economics, taking graduate classes to complete
the number of credits.

I thought I was just going to do some economic methods, which have
application in evolution and human behavior, but then I digressed.
Something like I'm doing right now.

The text for this quarter is E.K.Hunt 1992 _History of Economic
Thought: a critical perspective_ HarperCollins

The instructor is also E.K.Hunt, who is presently the department
chair.  He's really into the history of ideas and social theory
generally.  He was first ABD in philosophy, then switched to
economics.

The book covers classic political economy and a lot of other ground
besides, from the origins of capitalism and the feudal-capital
transition, through Smith, Ricardo, Malthus, rationalistic
subjectivism, utilitarianism, Marx, Walras, neoclassicals, Veblen,
Hobson, welfare economics, Keynes and more.

What I like is that it's all from a leftish view and that it's not in
the form of disembodied ideas.  Everything is presented in context of
the times and the political agenda involved.

I'm glad I knew some Marx first, but now this is adding a lot of
perspective on Marx, in terms of the context in which he was
operating, the on-going debates in which he was participating, the
critiques of the classics and his contemporaries that he was
presenting, and the alternative analyses he offered.

Still no economist,
and never will be,
but more informed than I was last month,
Lisa

p.s. I wrote summaries of 12 of the 19 chapters, and can email one or
more to anyone who might find them useful.