Dave Richardson writes:>>What I get from the information below is
that the number was right (OK, perhaps there was a positive
disturbance since it was so large) but that the Wall Street
interpretation was wrong.

>>USA Today on page 1B, "Economists Say Fears Overblown," looked
at the economy and the job figures and said that "part of last
month's payroll jump was a recovery from January, when blizzards
caused a loss of 188,000 jobs. Put the two months together, and
you get average job growth of 259,000 -- strong, but not
explosive" ....<<

Because of this kind of thing (and seasonal adjustment, too),
it's my general policy to pay little attention to month-by-month
fluctuations in _any_ economic statistics. I wish the journalists
would follow this policy too, emphasizing (say) three-month or
four-month moving averages.

Unfortunately, the speculators in the stock and bond markets are
a skittish bunch and avoid economic rationality, instead reacting
to every little twist and turn of the stats.

I think that entirely too much attention is given to the stock
market (which has little effect on the real economy except with
the stock-price fluctuation is truly huge and the real economy is
ready for a fall anyway, as in 1929). Unfortunately, given the
current fiscal situation, we can't ignore the bond market:
falling bond prices mean rising yields and the government has to
pay more interest on its (truly) outstanding debt, making the
deficit situation worse and (given the political balance) fueling
cut-backs of any government program that's even vaguely worth
having.

BTW, I believe that the trashing of RJ Burns, SJ, occurred on the
_Marxism_ list, not on pen-l. It also was done by someone who
(though sometimes quite lucid), sometimes flips out and offends
absolutely everyone, left, right, & center.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"It takes a busload of faith to get by." -- Lou Reed.