Jim Devine wrote:

> >Why High Oil Prices Are Bad ... for the Sellers
> >
> >By James Surowiecki
> >

> >In one important sense, this is of course a good thing for
> >Venezuela, which under its new *strongman*

This is a very important term.  Strongman means we are not supposed to like
him.

> president, Hugo Chavez,

> >The problem is that insofar as higher oil prices encourage
> >Venezuela to rely on its natural resources for economic growth and
> >job creation, they probably do more long-term damage than
> >short-term good.

you can argue that high wages have the same effect, but we did not like it
when Aristide tried to raise Haiti's minimum wage -- wasn't it something like
19 cents to 25 cents per hour.

> >most of the United States' natural resources were
> >subject to private exploitation rather than becoming foundations of
> >the state economy, and it also probably has something to do with
> >the sheer size of the U.S. economy, which was never going to be
> >dominated by a single industry.

Yes, the government found most of the stuff, paid for surveys and the like
and then turned it over to private enterprise.

> >In much of the world, though, the connection between natural
> >resources and strong economic growth is quite weak,

Oil has mostly proved to be a curse, because it generally leads to an
unbalanced sort of growth rather than fund measures to create a rational
society.

> and some
> >studies have suggested that countries with fewer natural
> >resources--like, most obviously, Japan--are more likely to grow
> >faster.

Countries also often grow faster after they lose wars -- so long as sanctions
do not continue.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department