I am glad to see Max Sawicky posting to PEN-L.  Since I know he has done a
lot in the area of social security,  wonder if he (or anyone else for that
matter) could comment on the book by C.Eugene Steuerle and Jon Bakija
_Retooling Social Security for the 21st Century_.  I just used it in my
Public Finance course and I'm very impressed.  But I wonder if Max agrees
with the view that there is a "fundamental imbalance" in the social security
system that has to be addressed -- and the sooner the better.  Steuerle and
Bakija do not accept the Peter Peterson set of recommendations but they do
beleve some judicious increases in the retirement age (both early and
normal) and making all of Social Security taxable would go a long way
towards restoring the system to actuarial balance after 2020.

Any responses will be welcomed.  Particularly "reviews" of the
Steuerle-Bakija book.  Thanks in advance, Mike
--
Mike Meeropol
Economics Department