Doug Henwood wrote:

> The point is that a Democratic president & a Democratic Congress passed it.

I still can't understand your insistence on tagging passage on
"a Democratic Congress." The entire Dem leadership structure
dissolved on this issue, and Rep. Bonior rallied a majority
of Dems and nearly sunk the thing. It's worth distinguishing
between the party leadership -- the White House, fatcat
contributors, assorted reptiles -- and the House leadership.

Another reason this is not a very good example is that there
are more than a few leftists for free trade, or at least for
not making an issue of trade liberalization.  If the left is
divided on this, why in the world expect the Democratic Party
to be different?

> On NAFTA - is the AFL-CIO following through on its threats to punish Dems
> who voted for it? I don't think so.

You're right and that's unfortunate.  Punishing someone is not so
easy -- it would entail running people against incumbents in
primaries who would be labeled as agents of big labor
vengeance.  Might not work, though it's worth trying in a
few places to see.  I'm not sure that a Member's vote on
NAFTA would justify helping a Republican take a seat -- if
there's a single 'deal-breaker' issue that may not be it. Which
means don't make threats if you don't have a good reason to
back them up.

Max B. Sawicky                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Economic Policy Institute       202-775-8810 (voice)
1660 L St., NW, WDC, 20036      202-775-0819 (fax)