Maggie Coleman writes: >> My own mother, in her mid seventies, a
year ago went in for major surgery. She was released after seven
days with the drains still in her for infection. Only constant
nursing by my step father and neighbors and relatives kept her
alive. <<

Here we see the basis for the solution to the much-heralded crisis
of the social security system in the U.S., which is perceived to
be arising due to demographic changes implying a rise in the
number of old people to be supported by the young tax-payers.
However, with the HMO-ization of health care, fewer old people
will survive. This will reduce the ratio of old people living off
the social security taxes paid by young people.

gallows humor while grading exams...

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"It takes a busload of faith to get by." -- Lou Reed.