maggie coleman can't think of a topic that is the equivalent in
importance to women as sports is to men. I think women would be
more interested in sports if women's sports got more resources
dedicated to their promotion. (Of course, more resources would go
to women's sports if more women were interested; it's a vicious
circle, or a virtuous one, depending on your perspective.)

Over the last couple of decades, more and more resources have
been dedicated to women's sports in the US (due to title 9, I
believe). So we have a "natural experiment" which should (if my
theory works) encourage women to become more interested in
sports.

Of course, women might become more interested in sports if they
realized that a lot of male athletes are "hunks."

I know nothing of either sports or hunks, so I'll stop. (Luckily,
I'm in academia, where one's ability to employ sports metaphors
is not correlated with advancement possibilities.)

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ., 7900 Loyola Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"Thank god we finally had us a war
it was what we'd been spending our tax dollars for;
the rivers of gore we can wave the flag o'er
sparking the stock market rally
soaring as high as the casualty tally" -- Roy Zimmerman