On Tue, 9 Jul 1996 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> To Tavis B.
>      Of course if preferences are well ordered and convex and
> technology and resources are suitably well behaved an Arrow-
> Debreu equilibrium exists.  But so what?  The criticism is indeed
> on the lines of the autonomy of preferences.  They are socially
> determined, they are bought, etc.  Also, there is strong evidence
> that they are not "well ordered" in the Arrow-Debreu sense, and
> for some people some of the time they are not convex, which was
> the starting point of this thread, if I remember correctly.

Fair enough.  The original thread was on the consistency of utility
theory.  Some suggested that the theory fell apart if preferences were
socially determined.  My point was that the result of market prices
somehow being "optimal" fell apart, but that the theory was still
usable.  You seemed to be defending (though I'm not sure since it was by
way of example rather than statement) a previous post (I can't remember
whose) that suggested that commodities did not provide pleasure, except
inasmuch as they provide people with the ability to continue habitual
behavior.  This would, indeed, be deadly for utility theory, since it
provides no basis to evaluate hypothetical consumption bundles, and also
because it might imply that people with different levels of consumption
would be just as happy with their respective consumption bundles
provided that those bundles are habitual.  I disagree (I went into more
detail in my response to  Terry) since I think that enjoyment of
commodities is developed by an interaction of social acceptance and
physical stimulation and not (usually) by either one alone.

I grant that equilibria won't exist if preferences aren't convex, however
this strikes me as a somewhat arbitrary critique for radicals to make,
i.e., there are no real politics of non-convex preferences.  I'm less
concerned about the production sets since I think the NC theory of the
firm is so bad as to be pretty much useless.  My question was more along
the lines of, if we don't like utility theory, what would be a better
approach?

>      I do not have an answer to how to measure "efficiency" outside
> of the NC or some related framework such as dynamic programming
> (central planner plugs in objective function).  Does it matter?
> Perhaps other goals such as sustainability and equality matter more.

I don't defend any NC notions of efficiency and I agree with your point.
I was referring to the word in a slightly different sense: When labor
values determine prices, one of the assumptions is that labor is
efficiently exploited, i.e., firms that make useless goods go out of
business quickly.  This essentially assumes a theory of demand without
ever spelling it out.  Perhaps this is a time for a Marxologist like Jim
to tell me I'nm wrong, but my sense and my recollection from reading
Capital is that Marx never worked out what determined why people bought
some commodities and not others.  NC utility theory does, and this gives
it some original value.

Cheers,
Tavis