Blair Sandler writes that:>>Gary Becker is not a person. He's a
utility-maximizing organism. Two entirely unrelated species.<<

Honestly (i.e., non-facetiously), Becker is an eccentric
professor, one of many in academia and one of many types. As an
eccentric prof. myself (of a very different sort than Becker), I
think it's sort of nice that academia is willing to accept people
like that. It's clearly preferable to the nuthouse.

The problem is that capitalism picks up Becker's (and
Becker-type) ideas and runs with them, using them to justify the
system and even to suggest new policies. Even BUSINESS WEEK,
which is one of the more enlightened of business periodicals in
the US, gives Becker a column so that he can feed and thus
reinforce their business readership's prejudices and ideology.
Worse, Beckerian ideology attracts all sorts of funds from
conservative (so-called "laissez-faire") billionaires: they use
tax-free foundations and other tax breaks to funnel money to the
Chicago school and its satellites, spawning all sorts of "Chicago
clones" who spread the gospel to the unwashed masses.

The Beckerian ideology -- which basically sees the whole human
world as nothing but markets -- fits quite well with the
capitalist mode of production's normal tendency to commodify
everything, to create the universal market. The Chicago-school
slogan "if the world doesn't fit the model, force it to do so"
seems to have taken over public policy lately, led by the World
Bank/IMF, Thatcher, Reagan, etc., etc.

BTW, we should remember that Michael E. does not share the same
political-economic assumptions as the vast majority of pen-l. He
therefore does not understand our sense of humor, confusing
light-hearted banter about Gary Becker with personal attacks on
that man.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ., 7900 Loyola Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way
and let people talk.) -- K. Marx, paraphrasing Dante A.