Forwarded message:
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Wed Jul 10 17:28:07 1996
From: D Shniad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: For your lists
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam Lanfranco),
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (michael perelman)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 17:28:04 -0700 (PDT)

Gentlemen,

I'm not tuned in to Pen-l or labor-l these days.  (I'm on holidays.)  But
I thought you might want to forward this to your respective lists.

Cheers,

Sid Shniad
=======================

NATIONAL TEACH-IN ON CORPORATIONS, EDUCATION, AND
DEMOCRACY

* Call to Chicago: End Corporate Rule! *

  Historically, corporations were created with the purpose of serving the
public good.  Yet today's corporate reality contrasts deeply with the
original role of corporations in a democratic American society.  Both in
America and across the world, people are struggling with the reality of
corporate rule and corporate abuses.  It is time for justice-minded
individuals to come together and organize a broad movement to take power
away from corporations.  Such a movement needs a common language, a
common understanding of history, and a shared vision.  We propose to do
everything in our power to make this movement a reality.

* The Teach-In: The idea *

  Over the course of the third week of October of this year, people across
the country will participate in the National Teach-In on Corporations,
Education, & Democracy.  This teach-in is intended to bring together those
who have struggled against corporate rule and those who are concerned
about the harm caused to families, communities, ecosystems, and
individuals by corporations.  This teach-in will give give millions of
individuals the opportunity to join the movement to shift power away from
corporations and back to the people.

  On every participating university campus and in each community hall
people will gather to educate each other about the realities of corporate
rule:

- About the hidden history of corporations in the United States, and about
how previous generations defined what corporations could and could not
do.

- About the many alternatives to giant corporations that exist in the form of
cooperatives, locally based exchange, and economic democracy in general.

- About the culture of democracy and free expression, which has been so
twisted and wrung dry by corporate manipulation, yet still persists in
America.

- About what corporations have done to weaken and to take advantage of
our public and private universities, and what we can do to take our schools
back.

- About the harms corporations have caused us all, and strategies we can
employ to bring our common resources to bear on our common corporate
problem.

  A National Teach-In of such scale is no small thing to organize.  Lists
must be compiled, mailings must be mailed, materials must be prepared,
calls must be made.  This summer, organizers and activists will convene in
Chicago for an organizing conference in preparation for the October
Teach-In.

* Chicago! *

  The Democratic National Convention will take place in Chicago this
August, and will be the focus of great protest and celebration. This gives
us an opportunity to come together with many others working for justice.
We do not necessarily go to protest, or participate in the Convention, but
to convene.  On August 16 & 17th we will convene an organizing
conference in preparation for the National Teach-In on Corporations,
Education, & Democracy.
  The Organizing Conference will begin at 10:00am on Friday, August 16th,
and will take place at the International Conference Center in north Chicago
(4750 North Sheridan Road).  Spaces at the center for a limited number of
overnight lodgers have been reserved.  Participants are asked to contribute
$30 towards the costs of lodging and food for the conference; checks should
be made payable to the National Teach-In Organizing Committee and
should be sent to 29 East Wilson St #201, Madison, Wisconsin, 53703.

  It is time for the Teach-In on Corporations, Education, and Democracy.
And once the Teach-In has taken place,  it will be time for bigger and
better things.  Let's work at the task at hand.  Please join us.

* Contacts: *

Program on Corporations, Law, and Democracy, 2718 Painter Ave, #C105,
Knoxville, TN, 37919 (423) 546-3945, [EMAIL PROTECTED] - c/o Rob
Inerfeld

Democracy Unlimited of Wisconsin Cooperative, 29 East Wilson, Madison,
Wisconsin 53703 (608) 255-6629, [EMAIL PROTECTED] - c/o Ben
Manski

Please contact us if you want to be kept up to date as planning for the
Teach-In progresses.

Rob Inerfeld
www.ratical.com/corporations/

--