I recently saw an article where the author, not a penner, critisized Milton
Friedman for being short, really.  The Chicago boys have done untold damage
around the world.  The get enormous support from right wing think tanks where
many lefties, a number of penners included, just scrape by.

Gil and Patrick are correct.  We need to confront their theories, but
realizing all the time, that although their theories provide aid and
confort to the powers that be, the most sophisticated disproof of their
theories would do little to halt imperialism or repression.

Some of that frustration came out in the Becker banter.  I confess that I
too get a modicum of glee from hearing of the sins and shortfalls of the
icons of the powerful.  Who among us did not smile when hearing of Donald
Trump's financial problems?

Right now I would like to hear a bit about the direction we should take.
We are getting diatribes against obscure left sects.  Silly criticisms
about the failings of left economists.  Are we going to have to make this
a closed list?  I know that all of us tend to get overwhelmed by the
volume of e-mail.

I would like to think that we could use this list to help make the
progressive in pen a reality.  Some penners are doing great political
work and use the list to further that work.  Some are doing important
practical work that could be of use to others.  I wish that Max would
keep us more informed about what EPI has on the table.

I think that the way that we came together about David Gordon showed
another dimension of the list.

I will repeat my oft repeated concern that we hear too little from those
outside of North America.  Look at the list of subscribers.  We have
people from all over, yet aside from some Australian contributions we
hear little about Japan, Brazil or the other places of residence of our
people.

Bill Mitchell once offered to help set up a pen-l home page.

In short, what can we do to make pen-l a more effective tool?

 --
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 916-898-5321